Mpumalanga, the “Place of Rising Sun” is a firm favourite when it comes to top tourist destinations in South Africa. The extraordinary beauty of the Lowveld and escarpment is revealed in all its splendour here. The accommodation availability is varied, guests have the option of Bed and Breakfasts, guest houses, holiday homes, self-catering places, Hotels, homes & apartments, backpackers camps and chalets or game lodge accommodation with the renowned Kruger National Park or bordering the park.
WHEN TO VISIT
The weather is often at its best here in March and April, when there is little wind or rain and temperatures are not too stifling. By contrast, the spring months of September or October are the best time for game viewing in Kruger and other reserves.
- The world-famous Kruger National Park stands out as one of the main reasons. Established in 1898, the park is home to an enormous number of flora and fauna.
- The Blyde River Canyon, the third largest canyon in the world and the largest green canyon in the world are found in this province.
- The province is also home to the oldest dolomite caves in the world- the Sudwala Caves.
- The Lowveld National Botanical Gardens is home to the largest collections of cycads in the world.
- One of the richest cultural heritage sites in South Africa can be explored at Thulamela in Kruger Park.
- Get an adrenalin rush in Hazyview, with activities including bungee jumping, white water rafting and quad biking
- Visit the home of South African jazz in Mbombela township
- Come face to face with South Africa’s most deadly snakes, spiders and scorpions at the Croc River Enviro Park
- Visit nurseries for endangered medicinal plants set up by local Sangomas and Inyangas (traditional healers)
- Visit the place where more than half of the world’s bananas are grown
aha BONGANI MOUNTAIN LODGE
aha Bongani Mountain Lodge offers you the opportunity to discover the spirit of Africa as you follow in the footsteps of the great African explorers and hunters of yesteryear.
aha CASA DO SOL
A perfect setting in the heart of scenic Mpumalanga, the luxurious aha Casa do Sol Hotel Hazyview is located next to the Elephant Sanctuary and offers pristine pools, deeply shaded glades and lush flower gardens.